The U8 Developmental League’s primary focus is on providing players and clubs with an introductory and age-appropriate playing environment under the supervision of each respective club’s professional staff. The proposed league format allows players to more frequently engage in age-appropriate match situations, fostering an environment where players can touch the ball more each game while demonstrating their creativity and improving their problem solving skills more so than is possible in larger league formats.
1) All teams are guaranteed a minimum of 8 fixture dates. Tournament weekends off from formal league play.
2) U8 players for the 2015 season are those born ON OR AFTER August 1, 2007
3) Teams will host half of their league games during the fall season. Travel to local clubs on other games.
4) No refs (coaches monitor games) to keep cost down. This will not be used as a way to train referees since there are minimal stoppages and rules.
a) Game dates will be set up as fixture dates. IE Club A vs Club B. In the situation where one club has a large number of U8 teams, a three-way club fixture date may be set up
b) Clubs will be responsible to set the times for a fixture date. It is imperative that all teams in the U8 academies for clubs be able to play within the established time frame for the fixture date.(for example a time set of 9 am to 11 am would allow for several games to be played and all players would get to play 2-3 games depending on the number of fields and teams participating on a given date)
5) No scores or standings are kept in the U8 league.
1) 5v5 (4 plus a GK)
2) No cap on roster size, but it is recommended to have 7-9 players for optimal player enjoyment. Roster size is dependent any discretion of the club involved.
3) No check-in, rosters, or player cards needed (to also keep player costs down and minimize administrative issues)
4) Field Dimensions 40x30 suggested
5) Futsal sized goals or comparable sized club-owned goals (Range of 6’ x 9’ – 7’ x 12’)
6) Ball size is Size 3
Use standard U8 academy rules: